Recommend

Monday, February 25, 2013

A “Perk” By Any Other Name...


   Haterism is alive and well...and being propagated by our media (big surprise). The news seems to be recently inundated with stories highlighting the “haves” only to stir the have-nots. It sure makes for great news (not really) except, everyone is a “have” in some way or another. The real crime here isn’t the media (ok...I’m stretching that), but the masses of news watchers that refuse to really think through the stories being presented. Fortunately...I’m not that type of watcher.

   Let me start with a story by the Boston Herald dated February 15, 2013 entitled “Tale of 2 Cities!: Guess who gets preferential treatment near State House.” It details how the free parking spaces for state officials were plowed out within hours after the snow storm ended...but residents on the same street and surrounding neighborhood didn’t get plowed out till much later. I suppose this is “news” and an “outrage” because it was done by “taxpayer-funded plows.” Big deal.

   It really gets old, this “My taxes pay your salary” mentality. In my personal case, I actually pay my own salary by that definition. Instead of balking about what your taxes pay, why not balk about having to pay taxes first? The article goes on to say “A quick drive around the State House clearly shows the special treatment that lawmakers get...and city residents don’t.” Again I say...big deal. Some of these people complaining about this issue would also be the first to complain that state officials aren’t doing their job if they couldn’t report to work for lack of parking due to snow. It’s a catch 22 situation...highlighted by the hater mentality of someone getting something that you are not...and I don’t buy into it.

  If you really want that type of perk, then run for state office...and win. If you really can’t understand the idea of having certain perks attached to certain positions or jobs...then welcome to the real world. How long have you been here?

   Then there was this story I saw on the news. Apparently there are some Massachusetts State police and local Boston police bypassing the toll coming back into the city. Whoa. Stop the press. You mean to tell me that they are getting over on the toll...and I’m not! Quick, call the President...send in troops. Somebody get the red phone...and call Batman. This has to be the crime of the century. Oh wait...scratch all that because I really don’t care.

   I love how they spin it by saying that these few people not paying the toll is costing me money. Hmmmm.....taking a look at my pay stub....nope, nothing changed. They spin it as if making these cops pay is going to somehow make the slightest difference in my financial bottom line. Guess what people? The toll price will not come down if we make these guys pay. Nope...not even a nickel. So then, why stir the pot on this? Sensationalism...that will stimulate haterism, which will lead to more viewership and more papers sold (they hope). I’m not buying it.

   I know what some of you are thinking. “It’s not fair.” Nope...it certainly isn’t, but very little in life really is when you consider the fairness application. Every job has some sort of perk associated with it. Should we make firefighters stay up all night and not sleep because we are not getting paid to sleep...and they are? What do you suppose a perk is of an employee that works at a baseball or football stadium? What about a hospital worker that might have access to free advice or treatment because of their job? The fast food worker is getting over on the rest of us because we have to pay for the food...that they take home for free at the end of the day. Call Batman.

   Yeah...it’s all different because our tax dollars are being wasted, but when are our tax dollars not being wasted? I think the minute they take the tax out of my check, it’s a waste. I could certainly do more for myself than they are doing for me with the money they are stealing.

   I say, instead of complaining about the perks of a job or position, be grateful for those perks you enjoy. Seek employment in the field of the chosen perk you want. Want to bypass the toll...commit to the life of a public protector, and put your life on the line for it (they do). Want to sleep and get paid for it...? Become a firefighter and sleep all you want at night (until the bell goes off and you are called to risk your life). Want free food? McDonalds is hiring. The next time I see a news personality interviewing a celebrity, I’m going to scream foul because it’s not fair that I can’t meet that celebrity. Oh wait...that’s one of the perks of their profession.

   Life is already a struggle...for most, so I’m not going to be another crab in a barrel trying to pull somebody else down. I’m too busy trying to pull myself up...and enjoying what little perks life brings my way. I think I’ll let others enjoy theirs.




1 comment:

  1. Someone always pitches a fit when they percieve that " Its not fair,his cookie is bigger than mine."

    ReplyDelete