Recommend

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Work It Out

   Summer is fast approaching (finally) and I really don’t want to be the one person not ready for it by not having the physique of a super hero. I’ve been into fitness since I was a teenager, although not nearly as consistent as I would like, I know what it takes for me to get in shape. I suspect it takes pretty much the same for you to get in shape as well, provided you’re not already part of the super hero community. I’m taking about hard work and the mental fortitude to commit to making a better “you.”
   I have a goal and getting where I want to be is going to take a considerable amount of effort on my part, but as they say...”if you shoot for the stars, you’re sure to land among the clouds.” It probably doesn’t help to be eating potato chips as I write this, but in the spirit of there always being an upside, at least they're unsalted. I can say that I met today’s fitness goal and I know if I stay consistent with my daily goals, my overall objective will simply be an eventuality. That being said, I have some pretty lofty goals...but I know they can be met because anything I’ve done before, I can do again...but that will just be the starting point to a whole other level.
   Let me encourage you, dear reader, to do whatever it is you do for fitness. it doesn’t matter if you’re a weight lifter, runner, ball player, swimmer or if you just walk an hour a day. Whatever you do, keep doing it. Whatever you want to start doing...do it! I don’t wear Nikes but I certainly prescribe to their slogan because that is usually the only way to succeed when your mind registers the pain your body feels when you reach your temporary limits. Just do it. 
   I used to be an avid weightlifter, after I was a runner. I still retain a great deal of speed and strength, although youth certainly has advantages, there is much to be said for wisdom and working smarter while also working harder. Today I fully endorse the crossfit workout as one of the most rigorous and rewarding experiences a person can have. It’s also hard as all hell...but as they say (“they” certainly say a lot) “no pain, no gain.” I’ve linked a video of some great guys I know personally (http://vimeo.com/11447535 ) that are in tremendous shape and are an inspiration to me to do the same, which brings me to my next point.
   Indulge yourself in whatever motivates you to workout. If you are inspired by someone you know or someone you see in videos, movies or magazines...then let yourself be inspired to the maximum of inspiration. If joining a gym motivates you to go and workout regularly, then sign up! If you look in the mirror and don’t like what you see, get more mirrors and keep looking until you’re upset enough to do something about it. If you’re the type of person that needs a partner to help motivate you and keep you going, then go out and find one. If all of this sounds like I’m trying to get you away from the computer and up on your feet in the name of fitness...then you’re getting my message loud and clear. Make no mistake though, I’ve written this in just such a way that it will motivate me whenever I re-read this, so think of this as skipping the proverbial stone off the head of many birds (a broader rendition of “killing two birds with one stone,” not to be confused with me advocating violence against animals...because I don’t).



   I titled this post “work it out” and I meant it. Do whatever works for you...and make whatever you’re doing work. I’ve spoken solely about exercise in a motivational manner but want to take nothing away from all the other components to great health such as proper rest and eating nutritiously. Really, eating the right food, or more specifically, the right foods for “you” would be a whole other post altogether. I started with exercise because that is the main component I myself am currently lacking (aside from the whole chip scenario I’m going through as I write this) and I’m wise enough to understand that I’m not going through this alone...especially with the summer approaching fast.
   I used to laugh at those fitness commercials where the guy proclaims that he is forty...and in the best shape of his life. Now I want to be that guy and it isn’t funny in the least bit. Wait...let me practice my own philosophy and rephrase that last line. Now I’m going to be that guy and it’s going to be a wonderful thing. I hope reading this post has had the same positive effect on you that writing it has had on me. Take care.





No comments:

Post a Comment