Recommend

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Movie Review: "Seven Pounds"


I am an ardent fan of the cinematic arts. Although I have certain genre preferences, I don’t let that stifle my curiosity and close myself to different flavors of entertainment. That said...I am a huge fan of science fiction, super hero and action movies! Please visit my other blog The Boxed Office for reviews, exclusively, on these types of movies.
The Cast: 
If I have to say anything about the acting talent of Will Smith, then stop reading this review now, because you haven’t been paying attention to this incredible actor. If you know like I know...then you can expect the same quality of work he has come to make, and we have come to enjoy. Rosario Dawson delivers in her role and is persuasive enough to make the relationship between her and Smith a believable occurrence, which is important for the emotional reaction this movie goes for. Woody Harrelson is always excellent in whatever he does...and this role is no exception. Despite the limits of the role he has, his performance is profound and has a lasting impression.
The Plot: 
   This film is the type of film that if I discuss the plot as it really is, it would ruin the movie for anyone watching it for the first time. With that said, I will be as descriptive as I can, while preserving the important points that make the movie what it is.
   Ben (Smith) is a man on a mission. His mission is one of redemption and he has set his mind to give seven people a second chance at life, a second chance to live life the way good people should live them. The ways in which he does this are varied, but he is under a self-imposed time limit...and he doesn’t have much time before he will no longer be able to help anyone. The “how” and the “why” for what he does MUST be seen to be understood, effective...and more meaningful than anything I can write here.
   Emily Posa (Dawson) has a heart condition and a rare blood type and needs a miracle to see anymore years of life. Ben might be that miracle, but what little life she has left is complicated by the fact that in Ben’s attempt to be a ray of hope for her...they fall in love and end up in a hopeless situation.

   Ezra Turner (Harrelson) is a blind meat salesman with a talent for playing the piano (a blind pianist...becoming all too common I think). Ben reaches out to him and tests his resolve to ensure that any help he is going to render, is well deserved. Ezra’s life is a hard one, but he maintains a positive attitude and uplifting exterior...despite the misery that churns within him. Sometimes we can’t see the blessings that are right in front of us.
The Verdict: 
   I was skeptical at first of a movie that seeks to repeat the all too familiar theme of someone or something being the guardian angel or knight in shinning armor for somebody...or group of somebody’s. My skepticism wasn’t warranted as this movie had the advantage of having great actors in it that delivered performances that struck the most profound emotional levels.
   The way the story unfolds is essential to having the effect I presume it was intended to have. Not everything is as it seems and there always seems to be more to the story than is being revealed...even when the movie begins to slowly reveal itself.
   If you’re looking for an action film, this movie isn’t it. If you’re looking for a drama that captivates your emotions while at the same time dangles a mystery in front of you that slowly unfolds in ways you never expected...then this is exactly what you were looking for. I found this film to be more enjoyable than I anticipated, especially since it was the type of film I don’t normally subject myself to...and was pleasantly surprised to find three and a half cinnamon sticks, out of five, in my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment