Recommend

Thursday, March 31, 2016

“Hateful 8”

   I am an ardent fan of the cinematic arts. Although I have certain genre preferences, I don’t let that stifle my curiosity and close myself to different flavors of entertainment. That said...I am a huge fan of science fiction, super hero and action movies! Please visit my other blog The Boxed Office for reviews, exclusively, on these types of movies.


The Cast: 

   As far as I’m concerned, this was an all-star cast.

   There shouldn’t be anything I can say about Sam Jackson that has not already been said. He is a great actor that brings his special brand of performance to all the roles he takes.

   I’ve been a fan of Kurt Russell for awhile now and he plays an excellent role in this film, setting the tone of the movie early. Jennifer Jason Leigh, being attached to him (literally) only elevated her character even though the role did not require much of her (imo).

   Walter Goggins is just one of those actors that isn’t really a headliner, but is excellent in whatever role he is playing. I think that is changing for him though cause with each role, he is building an impressive resume and this role certainly added to that.

   Michael Madsen can be counted on to do what he does, and that is deliver great supporting roles. Tim Roth is one of those wild-card actors that is very versatile and can nail any role you put him in. He nails it in this film…as expected.


The Plot: 

   Set somewhere soon after the end of the Civil War, a stagecoach is crossing the winter struck landscape of Wyoming carrying infamous bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his captive Daisy Domergue (Lee). Trying to stay ahead of an impending blizzard, the coach’s destination is the small town of Red Rock where Domergue will face justice for her crimes.

   During their travel they happen upon another infamous bounty hunter, Major Marquis Warren (Jackson) in need of transportation before the coming blizzard arrives. Grudgingly assisted, it isn’t long before the coach happens upon a third soul in need of refuge, Chris Mannix, claiming to be the new sheriff of Red Rock…should he arrive.

   With the storm bearing down on them, they cannot outrun it and must take refuge at a haberdashery along the way, owned by a woman named Minnie.

   Upon arriving they are greeted by a host of characters, none of which are what was expected, but all of which have a secret that could mean the death of them all. What follows is a classic tale of mystery, suspense and violence delivered as only Quentin Tarantino can.


The Verdict: 

   I consider myself a fan of Tarantino films since his big break through with Pulp Fiction. I have come to expect his particular brand of storytelling and this film did not disappoint in that regard.

   That said, I have found the trend of his most recent films set in and about the Civil War (or as the South calls it, War of Northern Aggression) era to be somewhat tired at this point. I fully understand the dichotomy of the era and thus the liberal use of the word n****r, but it is starting to feel like trend by Tarantino that is limiting his creativity and appeal. Tarantino can still draw the talent to his projects as evidenced here by what I have called an all-star cast, and they deliver as all-stars should. 

 Of course the film is not without it’s over-the-top gory moments, but like I have already said, It’s what you expect when you watch a Tarantino film. 

   I wanted to like this film more than I did, but for some reason, it just didn’t move me as I expected to be moved given the weight of the cast and director. It was almost like watching an all-star NBA game where nobody really does any fancy moves, but you appreciate their interaction with each other. Coming away with that feeling can only soak two and a half cinnamon sticks, out of five, in my cup of tea.



Rating 2.5/ 5


No comments:

Post a Comment